Housing has always been a core lever of the Enough for All strategy because access to affordable and appropriate housing decreases the likelihood that families and individuals will fall or remain in poverty. Over the past few years, the urgency of increasing the supply of housing in our city has become very clear.
In Sept. 2023 we joined forces with non-profits, groups, and individuals around the city in advocating for the City of Calgary’s housing strategy. The City is now starting to engage with the community on its rezoning plans to reduce the costs and timelines for permit approvals and allow for greater housing variety and options.
Vibrant Communities Calgary’s staff are not zoning experts, but we know that affordable and diverse housing options are necessary for a vibrant city. We also hear stories of the struggles people are having with rental increases and the limited supply of rental options. And, with every rent increase, more and more people risk becoming unhoused – about 115,000 Calgarians and 40,000 households are at extreme risk, and with each passing day, the situation gets worse.
Here's what we know
- Adding new homes improves affordability as fewer people are competing against each other to find a home that fits their needs and budgets.
- Calgary has a lack of housing options between single-family homes and high-rise apartment buildings and a need for varied types of housing according to these researchers.
- This research says that reforming land use policy or zoning improves housing affordability.
What can you do?
- Review the City of Calgary’s Rezoning for Housing page to learn when you can attend an information session. The first in-person session is tomorrow (Jan. 30). The page also has frequently asked questions.
- Tell your City Councillor by email that you support Home is Here, The City of Calgary's Housing Strategy (include your address so it's clear you are a constituent in their ward) or use this public submission form. The City of Calgary will accept written submissions until April 15. You can also use the public submission form to sign up to speak at the hearing on April 22, 2024.
- Learn how to speak at the public hearing or provide written input.
- Spread the word that you support creating a city with more affordable housing by posting these social media cards with the hashtags #YYCHousingNow #VoteYesYYCcc to raise awareness.
What to say
- I care about the affordability of rents in Calgary.
- I support affordable housing, and implementing city-wide rezoning.
- The City of Calgary’s new housing strategy is the right move for our city.
- Here’s a document you can download to help you get started.